Not long ago, when a potential-tragedy came into my life, I heard several people comment about my response to said potential-tragedy, “He is so laid-back.” and “he’s not giving it much weight is he?” and my favorite, “he hasn’t taken it all in yet, has he?”.
Yes, I heard what the doctors had to say and quickly shucked any fear the scenario might generate and also decided to trust my God. Why not? Up until now I have YET to see any real reason not to trust the Creator. We will look more carefully at this statement after a few commercial statements from our Sponsor.
(This is where a deep god-like base voice begins its ominous dialogue.)
As men and women of God our faith should be the cornerstone of our daily lives.
Of course, Jesus is or should be THE Corner-Stone of all our daily walks in this world.
Faith, or our level of faith, that simple and yet complex – nearly tangible element to who Believers are – is essentially based on how big God is in our individual minds and lives as Christians.
Whether we are preparing for a relaxing summer’s day outing or sailing the deep waters of the Happy River https://www.patreon.com/user?u=15942617 we should live our “faith,” walk our faith, eat and drink our faith whether tacking into the winds of life or simply jibing into the rolling waves.
Bear in mind, the Bible’s parable regarding “Walking on Water” isn’t JUST a story about Peter walking on water; rather, it is about trusting Jesus’ Words and plans and purposes for YOUR/OUR life/lives as we all walk thru this world in so many ways.
Seeing how these truths should be common and self-evident and thus realized in our lives as Christians… why should we be surprised or stupefied when people of faith are not shattered by Life’s tragedies or roiled by some bubbling unknown event coming into our world?
The question is… do you really trust your God?
Does our God cause all things to work together for good in our lives or does HE not? (Romans 8:28)
Did Jesus create the universe in six days as the Word says He did or did HE not? (Genesis 1:1-31)
Do we believe God’s Word when it states HE created the Earth first and then the Universe OR DO WE NOT? (Genesis 1:1-14)
Were the waters of the Red Sea parted by Moses as God’s Word indicates or was it not? (Exodus 14:1-31)
Remember Whirlwind Fans and Sailors of the Happy River…
If Jesus of Nazareth is truly the Messiah, the Son of God as our Salvation requires – THEN Jesus had to be:
- Born of a virgin/maiden (Isaiah 7:14)
- In Bethlehem Ephratah (Micah 5:2)
- Of the seed of Abraham (Genesis 18:18), Issac (Genesis 17:19) and Jacob (Numbers 24:17)
- An heir to the thrown of King David (Isaiah 9:7; 11:1; 2 Samuel 7:1-14)
- A man according to Prophecies many and specific (Daniel 9:24-27)
- Born just before a massacre of Israeli children (Jeremiah 31:15 & Matthew 2:16)
- A Prophet extraordinaire (Deuteronomy 18:15)
- Received with a triumphal entry into Jerusalem before His death (Zechariah 9:9 & John 12:13)
- Betrayed by a friend (Psalms 41:9)
- Sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12) And have the same money used to purchase a potter’s field (Zechariah 11:13)
- Accused by false witnesses (Psalms 27:12)
- Struck and spit on (Isaiah 50:6)
- Hated without just cause (Psalms 69:4)
- Numbered with Sinners though He was blameless YET Crucified for our sin (Isaiah 53:12)
- Tortured and beaten and mocked and insulted according to prophecy specifically having His hands and feet pierced (Psalms 22)
- Pierced through His side (Zechariah 12:10)
- Tortured and Crucified yet without any of His bones broken (Psalms 34:20)
- Buried in a rich-man’s tomb (Isaiah 53:9)
- RESURRECTED from the dead (Psalms 16:10) That’s a biggie!
- And to ascend into the heavens having fulfilled every relevant prophecy including Isaiah 61:1-2 (Psalms 68:18)
Wow! What a list, and that is simply the top 20 prophecies of which I can think; prophecies REQUIRED for any person to claim they are the Messiah of the Bible. Jesus fulfilled more than 40 prophecies so He could claim ownership to the title of Messiah, Christ, Son of the Living God.
Or, I guess, He could have simply been a great man or Prophet? Right!
By the way, are you looking for some really great land to buy? I’ve got 500 acres down by Swampy-Bottoms if you’re looking for a great investment. The swampy aspects ain’t no problem any more. It don’t rain in that part of the country any longer, ya know. Really.
At the beginning of this Post I wrote:
Up until now I have YET to see any real reason not to trust the Creator.
Still true! However, here are a few things most people ignore or forget when they say/believe God has let them down.
“IT” isn’t all about you or your life. The Bible is punctuated throughout with examples of God allowing calamity to befall His Chosen People (and I’m not referring to the Jews alone).
When the Word states, “All things work together for good to those that love God and are called according to His purpose.” Don’t ignore the “ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE” element of the promise.
Psalms 139:16 tells us:
Your eyes, oh Lord, saw my unformed body. Written in your book, were all the days of my life; though as yet, I had not lived a single day.
Forget not – we are pilgrims in this strange land for a reason. These sinful and corrupt forms we were born into need to be transformed and shaped and beaten and loved into Christ-Like souls/beings. We are not simply saved for our perpetual benefit – NO – we were saved by the Blood of God’s Son – painfully shed for our salvation and transformation, which as you have noticed is hard work.
Wide is the way to destruction!
Narrow is the way to life and salvation! (Matthew 7:13-14)
Much is lost and suffered so that we might be formed and shaped into Sons and Daughters of God.
The few years we exist on this planet – being shaped into the Children of God are simply a prelude to millions upon millions of years we will live as god-like beings.
There is a lot of work being done in us and thru us with much of that work not about our finite years on planet earth.
We must come to embody:
- Faith, as a lifestyle
- Joy, for Who He is and what He has done as Lord
- Patience when pressed
- Longsuffering for seemingly unjust life events
- Mercy when none is deserved
- Forgiveness for the unforgiveable
- Kindness beyond our own gain
- Peace because Christ IS
- And the list goes on ad infinitum
That’s a tall order for anyone to achieve if everything goes right and perfect in their lives. The truth of it is this… we grow in leaps and bounds when stressed and pressed and required to live in faith.
People of great faith are those who had to exercise great faith (Hebrews 5:12-14).
Do you think God had Moses tell the world the earth was created first and the universe second because it was easy to accept or believe? It requires faith.
Do you think God expects you to easily trust Him when a loved one dies too early in life?
Or you lose your job; or suffer great tragedy; or any of the millions of things terrible and true which require you to grow in faith?
The answer of course is no! The only things I see in this world which cause me to NOT trust my God are based on my pain or loss and not based on HIM!
So the funny thing about faith… when people exercise faith they sometimes appear to be acting cavalier; or not in recognition of the genuine difficulty or not taking “IT” seriously.
What say you?
Hebrews 11:1 tells us that Faith is the substance of things hoped for – the evidence of things NOT SEEN!
Remember to look unto Jesus for He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. (Hebrews 12:2)